Stockton residents in a single-family home, duplex or triplex receive residential waste collection services at a fixed rate and include:
- Weekly trash, recycling, green waste, and food waste collection
- 12 Extra Service Stickers per year
- Street sweeping every other week
- Used motor oil and oil filter collection
- Annual Stockton Clean Sweep Collection - February 1 to October 31
- Seasonal Leaf Collection - October 1 to December 31
- Christmas Tree Collection - December 26 to January 12
Residents receive three-wheeled carts for: trash, recycling, and green/food waste – all for one monthly cost. Weekly waste collection services occur on a day specified by your service provider.
At the start of a new service, residents receive a "Starter Kit" with:
- Information on what material to place in each cart
- Set of 12 Extra Service stickers when you have too much waste to fit into any of the carts
- List of services included in your monthly service charge
- List of special services available at a nominal fee
Most concerns about your service can be resolved by contacting your service provider. If you have additional questions or concerns, Contact Us.
Rates for Solid Waste & Recycling Collection
On November 5, 2019, the City Council approved a 10-year franchise agreement. Republic Services and Waste Management are the contracted service providers that serve the residents of the City of
Stockton with weekly curbside collection of garbage, recyclables, and organics (green and food waste). The companies also provide street sweeping services within the City of Stockton.
Service rates are adjusted annually. The rate adjustment is equal to 100% of the change in the Consumer Price Index for the 12-month period ending in April. The rates for all residential and commercial customers are effective January 1.
The 2024 rates listed below are for Residential customers and are based on the size of your garbage cart.
- Please see below for the different cart sizes for trash service.
- Residential customers can receive an additional 90-gallon Organic (Green & Food Waste) Cart for free upon request.
- Use the City's About Your Address feature to see which company handles your service.
Single-Family, Duplex, and Tri-Plex Customers
- Rates listed are per customer, per month.
- The following rates apply only to customers living in single-family, duplex and tri-plex homes.
- The monthly rate includes weekly Solid Waste, 60-gal Recyclable Materials and 90-gal Organic Materials Collection Services.
|Rate Per Month
|30-gal solid waste container
|60-gal solid waste container
|90-gal solid waste container
Additional Containers at Reduced Rates
To request additional containers for residential services, please contact your waste hauler, either Republic Services or Waste Management. The 2024 rates listed below are for Residential customers.
|Rate Per Month
|Additional 30-gal solid waste container
|Additional 60-gal solid waste container
|Additional 90-gal solid waste container
|Rate Per Month
|Additional 60-gal recycling container
|Additional 90-gal recycling container
|Rate Per Month
|Additional 60-gal organics container
|Additional 90-gal organics container
Residential and commercial customers with questions about garbage service charges should contact their service provider.
Residential Rate Discounts
To qualify, the bill must be in the name of the qualifying customer and for the customer's primary residence.
If you are a senior 65 years and older, the utility bill account holder, and live at the service location, you can receive a 10% discount on your garbage and recycling collection service rate. Please contact your waste hauler, either Republic Services or Waste Management, to receive this discount.
- You must present a copy of your driver's license or California identification card to receive the discount.
- If an old address is on your driver's license or California identification card, you may be asked for proof of residency at the address in question.
Seniors and Disabled Persons Below Median Income
Seniors 65 and older who have a below-median annual income of $35,483 per household may be eligible for an additional 10% discount. Download the application below or call Utility Billing Customer Service for an application by mail.
Residents who are permanently disabled and have a below-median annual income of $35,483 per household may be eligible for a 10% discount. Download the application below or call Utility Billing Customer Service for an application by mail.
Carts should be placed curbside, in front of your property after 6 p.m. the day before your scheduled collection day. Carts must be removed from the curbside no later than 11 p.m. on the scheduled collection day.
All 3 carts are emptied on the same day, but not by the same truck. You may choose to set out
your recycling or organics carts only when full, which may not be every week.
Trash Cart - Gray Lid
Trash is all material that cannot be placed in either the Recycling or Organics (Green & Food Waste) Cart, including things like ashes, pet waste, litter and Styrofoam. Please "Right Size" your cart and keep Stockton clean and green.
Recycling Cart - Blue Lid
Stockton's cart system is designed so more items will go into the Recycling cart than the Trash cart. Recycling includes clean and empty, dry bottles, cans, paper and cardboard. Keep recyclables loose. Don't bag recyclables. Only materials free of contaminates are recyclable.
Organics (Green & Food Waste) Cart - Green Lid
Green waste is another name for yard waste such as leaves, tree or shrub trimmings, grass clippings and some indoor items such as unpotted plants. Food waste also goes in the green-lid cart. Acceptable items may include vegetable and fruit peelings, solid dairy, egg shells, meat, fish, and food contaminated materials such as paper napkins and greasy cardboard pizza boxes.
Collection schedules remain the same on all holidays except for Christmas and New Year's Day. During the Christmas and New Year's holiday weeks, some collection services may be delayed by one day.
Residents receive 12 extra service stickers per year for free pick up of extra garbage, recycling or green waste that will not fit in your carts.
- Place extra material in a 30-gallon plastic bag; attach the sticker to the bag.
- Place the bag next to the appropriate cart (gray-lid cart for trash, green-lid cart for green waste and food waste, yellow-lid cart for recycling)
- Make sure the sticker faces the street for the driver to see.
- Once the 12 extra service stickers have been used, additional service is available at a nominal cost.
- Extra service stickers are mailed directly to the service address each year.
- New set of stickers may be used from January 1 through December 31.
Vehicles parked on the street, low-hanging branches or other impediments prohibit sweepers from cleaning streets and gutters. Residents are encouraged to remove vehicles and any other obstacles from the streets on sweeping days.
During Leaf Season – Oct. 1 to Dec. 31 only – your service provider will collect up to five bags of extra leaves per week at no additional charge.
Tips for Managing Leaf SeasonAll yard waste must be in containers. Use this helpful list of leaf tips to manage leaves during Leaf Season.
Illegal Leaf PilesResidents are not allowed to rake, blow or pile leaves in the street for collection. This is a violation of the Stockton Municipal Code; you could be subject to a fine. The only leaves that should be in the street are those that fall naturally. Only these leaves will be collected by street sweepers every other week.
Complaints about Leaf Piles in Street
The Waste and Recycling Field Specialist or Code Enforcement Officer verify the loose pile of green waste or leaves in the public right-of-way street or gutter.
Officer issues a 24-hour Violation Warning Notice with the "Intent to Abate" box checked. This provides notice leaf piles must be removed from the public right-of-way.
The next day, the officer re-inspects the area. If the pile is still there, the Officer issues a 24-hour Administrative Citation, which carries inspection and case processing fees as noted in the City's Fee Schedule Public Works Section.
The following day, the officer can either issue another Administrative Citation, with an additional inspection fee and fine or have the pile(s) removed by a City contractor. The contractor and administrative fees will be charged to the owner/tenants who are in violation.
This service allows the customer's carts to receive collection services from a location other than at curbside. This is a convenient way to make sure you never miss your weekly collection.
Senior and disabled residents may receive Back Yard Service at no cost with medical verification. For a small monthly fee, residents may request Back Yard Service. Contact your Garbage Service Providers to learn more.
Christmas trees should be set out for collection on your regularly scheduled service day. This year's collection period is between December 26, 2023 - January 12, 2024.
If your Christmas tree is not picked up during the collection period, please fill out a service request.
- Make sure to remove all ornaments, tinsel, lights, and stands.
- Trees over 6 feet in length must be cut in half.
- Flocked or fireproofed trees may be placed curbside, but will not be recycled.
If you still have a Christmas tree to dispose of after the third week:
Unflocked or non-fireproofed tree: Please cut it into smaller pieces and place it in your organics cart for recycling. The organics cart lid must be closed completely to ensure collection. You may also call your service provider to schedule a curbside collection for a fee.
Flocked or fireproofed tree: Please cut it into smaller pieces and place it in your trash cart for disposal. The trash cart lid must be closed completely to ensure collection. You may also call your service provider to schedule a curbside collection for a fee.
Any Christmas tree placed at the curbside after January 12, 2024, will be removed and a removal charge applied.